Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Knowing Him Intimately

Do you remember the first time that Genesis 4:1 was explained to you? "Now Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived and bore Cain", then all of the other "knew's" exploded throughout the Old Testament. You were most likely a youth possibly a child and the explanation fit whatever level of maturity you had at that moment. The use of the word know/knew in the bible indicates a much deeper knowledge of the subject/person at hand than just being merely acquainted. In tracking lineage we comprehend that when one Biblical figure "knew" another biblical figure that meant they had conceived a child. That is definitely considered intimate relations versus a handshake acquaintance.

Have you ever personalized "know" in this manner as it relates to you and the Lord? I think a few of you just fell off your chairs. :-) Seriously, let's start at the end and then go back to the beginning. Revelation 21:9 - "Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls filled with the seven last plagues came to me and talked with me saying, 'Come, I will show you the bride, the Lamb's wife.'" The chapter goes on to describe those who are saved and walking in the Lamb's light, those who are written in the Lamb's Book of life. So if we are the Lamb's wife, does it not follow that we should know Him intimately? We should but for many of us this is not something that we have been taught throughout our lives. For many of us this is a difficult and foreign concept.

This past weekend I witnessed a multitude of women experience the progression from acquaintance to intimacy. We were all part of a wonderful retreat called Holy Spirit Encounter. As these women arrived Thursday night the vast majority had no idea what the Lord had in store for them. They knew only that they had a "date" with Holy Spirit that had been set since the foundations of time. Fortunately they accepted the invitation for their individual dates. What transpired was different for each person, but what was the same was the entrance into the intimacy of the bridal chamber with Him. Until we understand that He wants to "know" each of us intimately, have access to our deepest thoughts, fears, desires, hurts, dreams, etc., He cannot empower us to grow and be all that He designed us to be from the beginning.

My own journey into intimacy with Him began after I arrived in Georgia and was utterly and totally alone. I depended on Him for everything. I had no one in my life here in Georgia to support me emotionally. I was financially overwhelmed. I missed my family desperately. I had no connections with anyone locally to help buffet the storms that threatened to drown me. Yet my Lord began to draw me into the bridal chamber with Him and show me that I could lean on Him in ways that I had never understood before. I began to hear His voice all of the time, hear Him consoling me, hear Him loving me, comforting me when everything around me was dark and cold. Before I realized it had happened, an extraordinary peace had overtaken my life and my spirit. I was "in love" with my Lord, passionately. I understood as never before what Jesus meant when He said, "And I will ask the Father,and He will give you another Counselor to be with you forever - the Spirit of Truth. The world cannot accept Him, for He lives with you and will be in you." John 14: 16-17 Holy Spirit is living in me and is alive and speaking wisdom and counsel and love into me minute by minute. I could not imagine my life without Him. The intimacy is tangible.

The change in my life since permitting access to Holy Spirit and seeking an intimate relationship with Him became a focus for celebration for me this weekend. We had the awesome opportunity to baptize a number of our women guests in the lake on premises at our retreat center. As I assisted these wonderful, excited women into the water each time, Holy Spirit was whispering to me. When I had accepted Jesus as my personal savior back in 1989, I did not have a clue about the power and importance of Holy Spirit. My life and my ministry have changed so dramatically as a result of the manifestation of His power. When the last person came out of the water, He said, "Let's celebrate My glory in your changed life." So I walked on down into the water and became the 21st lady to be baptized.

If you do not have an intimate relationship with Holy Spirit now and only have a walking acquaintance with Him, I invite you to go deep, go very deep. I witnessed incredibly changed lives this weekend because women were not afraid to pursue Him as their lover. He is your lover, He is your Bridegroom. Let us all "know" Him whether man or woman, so that when He comes to get us, He will "know" us.

No comments:

Post a Comment