Monday, April 26, 2010

A Different Perspective on the Wedding at Cana

This particular event in the Word is usually remembered because it was the first miracle that Jesus performed in public.  We also know that Jesus tells his mother upon her request that He act, "Dear woman, why do you involve me?  My time has not yet come." John 2:4.  Mary persists however and without seemingly a second thought simply tells the servants to follow Jesus' instructions.  Jesus proceeds to give direction to the waiting servants and thus the glory of God is manifested through Jesus.  Have you ever given any thought to this whole event from Mary's perspective?  Who was she that she ignored what Jesus said and moved Him into prominence, from anonymity to visibility?  What does this event teach us about our relationship with the Father and how we should act?

If Jesus was indeed around 30 years of age which is the predominant belief at this time, then Mary was a middle aged woman by cultural standards.  She had adult children and carried a level of respect among her peers.  Clearly this was a wedding that called for many to come and celebrate.  Mary was there as were Jesus and His newly identified disciples.  We don't know whose wedding it was and that does not matter.  What we do know is that Mary was paying attention to what was going on.  What woman does not have a second set of eyes that is overseeing all that is happening when her friends or family are involved?  Mary knew that there was an issue involving the inadequate supply of wine.  She did not want to see the bride and groom and their families embarrassed and knew there was a solution nearby.  The solution was a known resource and source to her but not to anyone else at that time.

Mary acted on faith in the knowledge that she had.  Mary had watched her son grow from infancy not knowing His full destiny, but only His identity.  I personally believe that Mary did not act out of disrespect for Jesus but rather in concert with Holy Spirit to reveal the glory of God.  There is an interesting reference to the third day in John's account.  In God's kingdom, there is perfect timing and order  with no coincidences. At another time we will have a discussion about third day, but for now let us ponder this thought: when Jesus was baptized, He crossed a threshold, just as all of us do when we accept Him as our Savior.  If He had stayed at that point and never ventured into the power of Holy Spirit, where would the body of Christ be today?  What significance would the crucifixion have held?  The power and glory of God had to be revealed and although Jesus believed it was not time, clearly Abba Father had other plans.  Mary was available, open and not intimidated by the circumstances around her.  Instead she operated on faith embracing the potential of the situation. 

I wonder, how often have each of us been in a "wedding at Cana" situation and instead of stepping into the authority we hold as children of the Most High God, we hesitated because of what someone had said to us?  Jesus told Mary no, yet she immediately moved forward with what she heard in her spirit (I am assuming here) and gave servants instructions that placed Jesus in a position of authority.  "Do whatever He tells you."  John 2:5  We know from Jesus' own words that He only did what His father told Him to do and acted through that power.  From the description that we are given in the Word, Jesus proceeded to give instructions and thus the first miracle occurred.  Mary acted in faith, leaning on what she knew.  There is no expression of doubt in these few verses.  Do we act in faith, without being encumbered by doubt?  When we pray for someone, do we expect God to show His glory or do we just hope that He will?  There is a significant difference in the spiritual realm between these two positions.  

Please understand that I am not saying every time you pray in authority, God will grant your prayer.  He is the One in control of all situations.  However, if we don't ask persistently and consistently, then how will we keep the communication lines open so that He can utilize us when the time is right?  More simply put, if we did not get up again the first time we tried to walk and fell down, we would still be crawling on our hands and knees.  Maybe walking in God's authority and power is like that - we have to get up, fall down, get up again until our persistence succeeds.  Just a thought.....

I have decided that I want to walk with the same assurance that Mary did at the wedding at Cana.  She knew who Jesus was.  I know who Jesus is.  She did not flinch when Jesus said no.  I do not want to flinch when I don't see immediate manifestations of the power of God.  She acted on the authority of her knowledge about God/Jesus/Holy Spirit.  I want to act consistently on my knowledge about God/Jesus/Holy Spirit.  I know this is a process as God expands my borders.  I am taking Him at His word.  John 14:12-14 "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing.  He will do greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.  And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father.  You may ask me for anything in my name and I will do it." Are you ready to walk in His authority?  My prayer is that you answer with a resounding "YES"!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Janice! I want that kind of faith too. I really want to live John 14. That is my hearts desire.

    ReplyDelete