Monday, March 1, 2010

A Better Response

Are you a parent?  Have you ever had your kids ask you about something that they know you are not in favor of, but they figure that if they come and ask you in a really nice way that maybe you will change your mind?  Their mindset is that there is always a possibility that they can talk you into it or that you may have a sudden revelation that shows they are right about this and you are wrong.  This same scenario plays itself out in the workplace, in our social circles and yes, even in the church.  We are human and there are no new tricks on the face of the earth with regard to how we humans process information and how we try to satisfy our human desires. 

Chapters 22 - 24 of the book of Numbers recounts for us the story of Balaam and King Balak.  It is an interesting scenario that is played out for us on the tug of war between people listening to God versus listening to their own desires.  When you first begin to read through this, the initial reaction may be one of confusion.  Balaam appears to be honoring God by waiting to hear from Him before acting on this request from King Balak.  Balaam is offered money to come to King Balak and curse the people of Israel.  His response: Numbers 22:8 And he said to them, "Lodge here tonight, and I will bring back word to you, as the Lord speaks to me." So the princes of Moab stayed with Balaam.  No surprise that God tells him to not go with them because the people of Israel are blessed.  So Balaam obeys and sends the messengers home.

This scenario is repeated as King Balak does not want to take no for an answer.  Balaam continues with the "let's wait and see" game.  Read the chapters to get the whole story, but the essence of it is that God allows Balaam to travel but even in that process, God blocks Balaam repeatedly.  Balaam persists however continually going back to God and asking a question to which he already has the answer.  In fact he had the answer before he asked it the first time.  Why would Balaam have continued to pester God about an action that he knew God would never reverse?  God had told Abraham (Genesis 12:3)  "I will bless those who bless you, And I will curse him who curses you; And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed."   That covenant promise to Abraham was still standing (and is still standing today) while Balaam petitioned God to comply with Balak's desire.  What was driving Balaam?

While none of us was present when Balaam was living, it is possible to conjecture what was motivating him.  First we must recognize who he was.  According to some Hebrew scholars, Balaam is perceived as the last of the prophets of the gentile nations who received revelation from the Holy One, and surpassed Moses in the wisdom of sorcery.   It may be hard for us to wrap our minds around God speaking to someone that was not part of the people of Israel.  But history bears out that there were many who honored the Lord even though they were not part of His chosen people, and God used many non-believers to demonstrate His power and faithfulness.  Pharaoh is an excellent example of that.  However, we must bear in mind that even the devil and his demons believe in God.  It is how they walk out that belief that separates them from the love of God.  Balaam understood the power of God and that His blessing on the people of Israel was real.  What Balaam continued to pursue was his self interest in this series of events.  He wanted what was pleasing to him and surely was hoping that somehow he could still get the material wealth that was being dangled in front of him.

We all have access to understanding and embracing the will and the heart of God.  Study His Word and seek discernment as to what He is saying through it.  God is really not difficult to comprehend.  The more open we are to Holy Spirit the more we will be able to see the separation between our will and His.  The more we surrender to Him, the clearer His voice becomes in our lives.  Our daily life is not about us; it is about living a life that honors Him and brings joy to Him.  But how often do we have a "carrot" dangling in front of us that brings us to Him with a petition that is focused on our life and our well being versus focused on Him and kingdom matters?  Are we like Balaam and just hoping that maybe God will not be consistent this time?  Just maybe God will say to us, "Oh go ahead...  I understand that you have a need to have such and such."  Do we really think that God is so easily persuaded that what we want is more important than His consistently standing firm in His Word?

I have recently been placed in a position of re-evaluation of how I react to life.  What is more important ~ how a given situation makes me feel or how I react to that situation in a loving Christ-like manner?  I am swiftly coming to the understanding that no matter how something makes me feel, I want to learn to not react to it out of my flesh - my emotions.  I want more than I can tell you to learn how to be the person God has called me to be consistently.  I do not want to be swayed by the circumstances of my life.  I do not want to become a Balaam that continues to pester God to have things my way.  Instead I would like very much to become one who knows the heart of my Lord so well that I know without a doubt the response that He wants from me in any situation.  Is that so impossible?

I have been blessed many times by the Lord's revelation to me - sometimes it is the quickening of Holy Spirit within me - that directs me to alter the direction I was headed.  I know that the Lord wants the best for me, but His best does not always equate to what others may deem as His best.  We all have a tendency to see things through our human eyes versus our spiritual eyes.  My human eyes are already wearing corrective lenses because I cannot see 20/20 without them.  How unfortunate for me if I start trusting these human eyes to tell me what I need to know before I move.  No, I seek to utilize my spiritual eyes and ask continually for God to "clean" those lenses through which I see. I want to daily develop a better response to Him in my life than I did the day before. Lord, empty me of me and fill me with You!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment