Monday, December 21, 2009

True Wealth in our Lives

Everywhere we turn today - literally today - we are hearing some message about Christmas, be it either about Jesus being the reason for the season or the opposite controversy over putting Christ in Christmas because after all this is really "a secular holiday". I wondered if I was to follow the crowd and write about this week's celebration. Holy Spirit responded with a resounding no - there is something with far more impact on our eternal lives than this one day of remembrance. I pray that all of you, my wonderful readers, do not tire of hearing a theme here lately,but I am not released to leave it, so please bear with me.

What is the focus of our lives regarding the accumulation of wealth and indeed how do we define wealth? During this season of excess, we are truly being watched by our Lord in how we expend the resources that He has given to us. Please do not misunderstand; I am not negating the blessing of both giving and receiving gifts. The question I hear in my spirit is how balanced are we in this giving and receiving of gifts. For many of us, these are very lean times in which our incomes have been drastically reduced or for some our expenses have unexpectedly skyrocketed due to sickness or disaster. Have we made the necessary adjustments to our spending or are we trying to live up to others' expectations for Christmas?

James 5:3 Your gold and silver have become worthless. The very wealth you were counting on will eat away your flesh like fire. This treasure you have accumulated will stand as evidence against you on the day of judgment. What is being described here are our earthly accumulations of material gain, whether that is money, property, possessions, even our reputation and image. Why will they stand as evidence against us on judgment day? Think about what it takes to accumulate wealth. Think about the time and effort it takes to maintain property and possessions. I often reflect on this because the Lord has blessed us with a lovely home that is far more than I ever wanted. I believe He has bestowed this to us because He expects it to be used for ministry. However, not a day goes by without my considering the time it takes to maintain it and continue to confirm with Him that this is still His heart's desire for us.

Ever since He has directed that I remain unemployed in the secular world, we have had to diligently consider how we manage on one income when at the time we arrived in this place we had two. However I know we still make mistakes for varying reasons. Christmas is probably a prime example. The joy of giving is so much fun and to be honest, sometimes I still feel like I am disappointing someone if we don't do a "little something". After all isn't it what we all do at Christmas? Then of course there are the charitable causes that abound this time of year. We need to bless this organization and that one. After all we have some resources and they need those resources. Right? Maybe you all don't have to deal with these issues. I wish I could fund every needy cause and still bless our family with sweet remembrances of our thoughts about them. The truth is though that we just don't have the resources we once had.

The irony of that statement and all of those emotions that I am experiencing is that I have never felt as wealthy as I do right at this moment. The Lord has provided us with what we need and beyond that He has enabled us to help out in varying situations at different times. Do we have a reserve stashed away and a healthy retirement fund to rely on? No. Do we have a faithful God who will continue to meet our needs and give us peace about where we are right now. Yes! I learned a number of years ago when I was facing a very uncertain future financially, not knowing from where my next house payment was coming or how I would pay the electric bill that He has me in the palm of His hand. I continued to walk in my trust and focus on kingdom issues instead of Janice issues. I was humbled and thrilled at the powerful peace that continued to surround and carry me. My wealth then as it does now lay in my relationship with my Lord and His plans for me in His kingdom work.

We are all very familiar with the scripture from Matthew 19:23-24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is very hard for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. I'll say it again - it is easier for a camel (rope) to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!" I have placed rope in parentheses because research has raised questions as to what Jesus really said during that conversation. Translators of ancient languages are now saying that the same word is used for camel as for rope or large beam. It was all determined by context. So to try to picture what Jesus was saying, imagine Him walking along the seashore teaching and pointing to an anchor rope while saying this to His followers. Now imagine these fishermen thinking about the needles with which they mend their nets and the anchor ropes that were used with their boats. Is it not a wonder that they said to Jesus, "Then who in the world can be saved?"

Immediately before Jesus spoke this truth to His disciples, a conversation is recorded between Jesus and a young rich man. Matthew 19:16-22 During this conversation the young man wants to know how to achieve eternal life. Jesus instructs him first about keeping all of the commandments. This is followed by the young man's claims to have obeyed all these commandments and inquiry as to what else must be done. When he is instructed further to sell all of his possessions, give everything to the poor and follow Christ, he leaves sad, because he had many possessions. Possessions can and will keep us from eternal life with our Lord.

Am I saying that we all are to become Mother Theresa's forsaking our occupations in this world to go and follow Christ? No. My personal belief is that God provides our occupations in order to provide the resources that we need to practice our profession - ambassadors of Christ. Paul was a tent maker and as he made his way throughout the known world at that time, he provided for himself through his occupation. His main focus though never changed - to preach the Good News to all with whom he came into contact. He never accumulated wealth that we can see, but he managed. God met him where he was and provided for his needs even when he was persecuted and imprisoned. Won't God do the same for us?

Permit me to refocus. We are blessed to be a blessing. Some individuals have been blessed with incredible wealth, and there is an obligation to be an equally incredible blessing to the kingdom. Those who have little also have an obligation to bless through what they have been given. It may look very different, but there will still be a blessing of the Kingdom through their meager resources. Utilizing what God has provided to us is a responsibility every believer has,whether we are the widow with two mites or a wealthy landowner with vast resources at his disposal. Seek where your true wealth lies and my prayer for you as you celebrate Jesus' birth is revelation as to where your wealth is. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment