Monday, September 14, 2009

How's Your Wedding Attire?

Most of us identify immediately when we hear that we are the Bride of Christ and that we are awaiting the marriage ceremony and wedding feast. We know that the only way we can be dressed for the upcoming wedding is with the robe of righteousness that comes with our sincere repentance and accepting the blood of Jesus Christ as our garment. My question for you is how long ago did you don your wedding garment and what condition is it in? Sadly many of us accepted Christ many years ago and dressed in our brilliant white, spotless garments on that day, but since that day our choices have soiled our garment. Are we really ready for the wedding? I wonder.....

In my studies I came across the following scripture from Revelation 16:15 "Take note: I will come as unexpectedly as a thief! Blessed are all who are watching for me, who keep their robes ready so they will not need to walk naked and ashamed." Suddenly I visualized the wedding garment that was now somewhat soiled because I had slipped here and there and while I got up again, perhaps I had not truly repented and turned from that which caused me to fall. Without true repentance my garment is no longer the robe of righteousness.

Unfortunately I am keenly aware of many Christians who would argue with me that once forgiven always forgiven and there is no way that one can lose the white garment of righteousness, our robe for the marriage ceremony and wedding feast. However, as I read this scripture above, I paid particular attention to the phrase keep their robes ready. Why would Jesus in talking with John about all things relevant to the future use a present tense verb and imply that this is an ongoing state? I believe that this is to warn us that it is easy to not have our robes ready. As I look back on the past twenty years since I accepted Jesus as my Savior, I can recall decisions that I have made that absolutely were not the right ones. Did I think so at the time? Of course! I would have not made them otherwise, but now as a more mature believer, I can see through my rationalizations and immediately recognize how I was deceived by my arch enemy into disregarding my wedding attire.

We all should know that when it comes to the standard the Lord will use during judgement it is Himself. We will not be compared to any other human being because none of us are worthy to enter into His presence on our own merit. So if we are making decisions that we justify by comparing ourselves to someone else, we will surely miss the mark. The only way to be chosen for Jesus' bride is to make sure we have exchanged our soiled garments for the white robe of righteousness.

Why is this of such importance? Because we know that He will come as unexpectedly as a thief. We never expect a thief to come - that is always something that catches the victim by surprise. The historic parallel to this is in the ancient Hebrew wedding traditions. The final two stages of this covenant between bride and groom are Kiddushin (The Betrothal) and Nissuin (The Nuptials). In Kiddushin, the cup of acceptance is shared by the potential Bride and Groom. This was done for us by Jesus with His blood. Then the groom goes to prepare the Huppah while the bride is to begin her preparations through purification (Mikveh), undistracted devotion and anticipation. That is what we are to be doing daily. In Nissuin, only the Father of the Groom (Abba Father) can decide when the groom may return for His bride. The groom's arrival is unexpected by the bride. He then abducts the bride who is finely dressed and crowned. That is the time of the marriage feast and future happiness is declared for the bride and groom to dwell together. (If you would like to learn more about the parallels between Hebrew wedding tradition and Scripture, visit http://focusonjerusalem.com/jewishwedtrad2.html.)

Back then to my original question, are we ready for the wedding? Are we daily in the process of purification, undistracted devotion and anticipation of our wedding day? Personally I know that I must check my wedding garment everyday to make sure that the "soil" of the previous day has not prohibited my being clothed and ready for the abduction. Although Jesus said He would come like a thief, we also know from Scripture (Mark 13:29, Matthew 24:33) Just so, when you see the events I've described beginning to happen, you can be sure that his return is very near, right at the door. The events of these past few years, especially this year, should have us all eagerly anticipating His return anytime. Are you ready, clothed in His righteousness, or will He find you naked and ashamed? We have no excuses.


No comments:

Post a Comment