Monday, March 30, 2009

Encounters along the Road

Do you ever ponder what your responsibility is as a traveler on this journey? The generic response I often hear is "to follow" the will of God. Certainly you will find no argument from me on that, but as I pursue His heart and seek to deepen my relationship with Him I am finding there is more. There are multiple dimensions to His will and as we study the Word, we discover the many facets of this gem. Like a diamond that is being cut by a master artisan, our obedience in following God's will for our lives is being chiseled from the coarse, raw rock that we were when we first accepted His love.

Following His will for our lives is more than finding our calling, more than learning to be more focused in our daily living, more than being sacrificial in involvement with the body of Christ, even more than reaching out to save the lost. I am learning that following His will is in large part learning how to be His image bearers to all of those with whom we come into contact. This includes our family members, our co-workers, our friends, the strangers we meet on the street, and oh, yes, even our enemies. Am I sure? Genesis 1:26 states, "Then God said, "Let us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness...." 1:27: "So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them."

From the beginning, God created us to reflect His image. Yes, man fell. Yes, there is sin and this is a fallen world, but one that has been redeemed by the blood of Jesus Christ. So we are now called to conform to that original image - restored to us. Romans 8:29 states, "For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers." We can't escape it; we are from the beginning of time designed to walk in the image of God. It is in our DNA - literally. We are created that way, but what does that mean day to day?

Reflecting on being God's image bearer brought me to this single conclusion: I can no longer bear Janice's image. Janice's image will reflect my wants, needs and desires. It will also reflect my likes, dislikes, and going deeper, my personal baggage in life. When I encounter someone along the journey, if I am reflecting Janice's image, then our conversations will be tainted by all of the facets mentioned above. The person's words, actions, or lack thereof, will be bouncing off my "angles" that have been cut by life. That is not always a bad thing, but it is not necessarily a God thing.

If I am to learn to be God's image bearer on this road that I am traveling, I must shift my perspective. I must learn how to operate in God's love all the time. Not just when I am feeling good. Not just when things are going well. Not just when this is someone that I like or someone that I do not know well enough to not like. No, I am expected by God to be His image bearer all of the time. Does that seem overwhelming to you? Think about it a little more....

There are people that you are going to encounter on this Journey we are traveling that cannot hear God's voice for many reasons. The reasons are too numerous to even imagine or to begin to list. God, however, is going to place you in their path. Your job at any given moment is to be His fingerprints on their lives, His soft whisper of love into their lives. You see they cannot see or hear Him. They are not in relationship with Him ~ you are. You are the interpreter for God to them of His incredible, passionate love for them. He is not going to give up on them. He is going to reach them somehow. That somehow is you. Are you willing to be His image bearer to break through the walls that have been built? Can you release your own image and allow God to chisel you a new one? One that is more priceless than the largest diamond that has yet to be found?

My answer to my God whom I adore is chisel away! Empty me of me and fill me with You. I know this is a process and I am a long way from being where I want and need to be, but Lord I am willing. How about you?

1 comment:

  1. As usual,you have used your God given talents to put together this wonderful piece of work to enable others become aquainted with you and the great book that God inspired you to write.May you always allow the Holy Spirit to use you to bless others. Luv You,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete